Thursday, October 25, 2012

Autumn Leaves


Colorful crunchy leaves underfoot and crisp red apples.  The signs of autumn are all around us.  There’s a cool crispness to the air - and an aroma we’ve missed during the summer months…wood burning in the fireplace.

The leaves on trees are turning from green to vibrant colors of red, yellow, and orange.  With just the slightest breeze, they float softly to the ground.  You’ll notice moms with young children gathering some for decorations or searching for the perfect leaf for a school craft project.   

We’re into the first month of fall and with it comes the anticipation of the festive months ahead.  But, there’ll be plenty of time to enjoy the busy holiday season, so I hope you’ll relax and enjoy this special time we have now.  It’s good to savor each season as it changes.  

I love autumn and all the memories it brings to mind.  When I was a kid, raking up huge piles of leaves and then jumping into the middle of them made outdoor chores fun.  

My sister, Jeanne, was always trying to find new places to hide so she could jump out and say, “BOO!” and scare me.  Well, as you can imagine, a big pile of leaves was a perfect hiding place for her to scrunch down in and pop out just at the right moment with a big “BOO!” 

Without fail, even if I kinda knew she might be in there, she was successful in scaring the daylights out of me, and I’d jump as I let out a big scream.  After I caught my breath, I’d say, “Jeanne!  Don’t DO that!”  Then we’d fall down laughing as we rolled around and played in the leaves.  What fun we had! 

Autumn is also a wonderful time for early evening walks.  The brilliant sunsets seem to be a reflection of the gorgeous fall colors.  I hope you’ll take some time to make wonderful memories with your family and friends as you savor this colorful season. 

With love,
Martha

P.S.  I’m hiding from Jeanne in the leaves… shhhh, don’t tell!
 
 
Copyright © 2012 Martha Hadley. All rights reserved
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment